Power Star Pawan Kalyan’s “Sardar Gabbar Singh” (Sardaar/SGS) is one of the most-awaited Telugu movies of 2016. The film may break the 10 important collection records of “Srimanthudu” and “Bahubali: The beginning.”
Everyone knows that Pawan Kalyan is the most popular actor in Telugu film industry. He boasts of a huge fan base not just in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, but also in other parts of India and key international markets. His movies have worked wonders at the box office in many areas around the world.
Until the release of “Srimanthudu” and “Bahubali: The beginning,” Pawan Kalyan’s movies held almost all the top Tollywood collection records in India and overseas. His last solo outing “Attarintiki Daredi” was an all time biggest opener and highest grossing Telugu film in many areas. But the film has now been pushed to the third rank by Mahesh Babu and SS Rajamouli’s recent movies.
“Srimanthudu” and “Bahubali: The beginning” have set up new benchmarks for Pawan Kalyan. Some records of the Rajamouli-directed film are apparently impossible to be broken by anyone at the moment. Considering the hype, we think “Sardar Gabbar Singh” can shatter some of their records.
“Sardar Gabbar Singh” is a sequel to Pawan Kalyan’s 2012-blockbuster movie “Gabbar Singh.” The speculations about the second instalment started soon after the release of the first film. But Pawan Kalyan announced the project officially after the release of his 2013-blockbuster film “Attarintiki Daredi.” The project took a long time to take off, due to Pawan Kalyan’s political activities.
However, this long wait of three years has made the Mega fans even more impatient. Its promos have generated a huge amount of curiosity among the film goers. Adding to this, its makers have done a lot of publicity for the film. The movie is hyped so much that tickets for the first weekend were sold out in 24 hours after the advance booking opened.
1. “Baahubali -the Beginning” was released in four languages in over 4,000 screens around the world and it is the biggest release in Tollywood. “Srimanthudu” was released in 2,500 theatres worldwide and it’s the second biggest release. Now, “Sardar Gabbar Singh” is gearing up to release in 2,600 screens across the globe. It will smash the record of “Srimanthudu” and become the second biggest release.
2. “Baahubali – the Beginning” grossed $1,010,550 from the premiere shows in 118 screens in the U.S. Mahesh Babu’s “Aagadu” and “Sreemanthudu” are in the second and third ranks with a collection of $533K and $500K from 117 locations in the U.S. premieres, respectively. “Attarintiki Daredi” is in fourth spot with a collection of $345,000. “Sardar Gabbar Singh” is likely to shatter all these records.
3. “Srimanthudu” collected Rs.19 crore gross at the AP/T box office on its opening day, while “Bahubali: The Beginning raked in Rs. 28.50 crore gross. “Sardar Gabbar Singh” may find it difficult to shatter the opening day record of the Prabhas starrer, but it will obviously beat the benchmark of the Mahesh Babu starrer.
4. With its two-day global collection – Rs. 135 crore — “Baahubali: The Beginning” has become the fastest Rs. 100 crore grosser in Tollywood, while “Srimanthudu” took 10 days to surpass this mark. After seeing 100 percent advance booking for its opening weekend, “Sardar Gabbar Singh” will cross the Rs. 100-crore mark.
5. “Sardar Gabbar Singh” will beat the first weekend global record of “Srimanthudu,” which has grossed Rs. 60+ crore gross (Rs. 42.80 crore share) at the worldwide box office. But it will not be able to do the same with the record of “Bahubali” (Rs. 197 crore gross).
6. “Srimanthudu” collected $2.06 million from 157 screens at the U.S. box office in its opening weekend, while “Bahubali” minted $4.42 million from 230+ screens. “Sardar Gabbar Singh” is likely to cross $2.50 million from 175 screens in North America in the first weekend.
7. “Baahubali – the Beginning” crossed Rs. 200-crore mark at the worldwide box office in five days, while “Srimanthudu” ended up grossing 150 crore in its life time. “Sardar Gabbar Singh” is set to be the second film to cross the Rs. 200-crore mark.
8. “Bahubali”, which grossed Rs 255 crore in seven days, is the highest grossing Telugu film in the opening week, while “Srimanthudu” is in the second place with a gross amount of Rs. 86+ crore. “Sardar Gabbar Singh” will shatter the opening week record of “Srimanthudu.”
9. The Hindi version of “Baahubali – the Beginning,” which collected Rs. 120 crore at the Indian box office, has become the first dubbed Hindi movie to cross the Rs. 100-crore mark. “Srimanthudu” was not dubbed and released in Hindi. The Hindi version of “Sardar Gabbar Singh” is released in 800 screens in North India and it has got chances to smash the records of “Bahubali.”
10. The Telugu version of “Baahubali”, which was released in over 170 screens in the U.S., has collected $6.46 million at the US box office in its life time. Pawan is one of the most popular Telugu actors in the country and “Sardar Gabbar Singh” is released in 175+ screens in the country. His latest outing is likely to shatter the life-time record of “Bahubali.”